This week on “A Drink With …” we sat down with ON24’s VP of Marketing, Tessa Barron. During the COVID pandemic, webinars and virtual meetups have become more important than ever and businesses like ON24 have been at the forefront.
Recently announcing crossing the $100M ARR threshold, ON24 has become a critical aspect to many marketers tech stacks and was recently named by both G2 and TrustRadius as a top solution for marketers to engage their audiences.
On this show, we shared a couple of cocktails and discussed how businesses are delivering world-class digital experiences using their platform in lieu of physical events, as well as how Tessa and her team are drinking their own champagne to continue their stellar growth.
View the full video recap available below. Cheers!
Watch A Drink On-Demand
- Matt Heinz: Is this called “Tessa Slow Jams B2B?”
- Michael Hartmann: I literally just opened a bottle of the same Rye 🙂
- Tessa Barron: Hahahaha someday we will have manhattans in Manhattan again!
- Michelle Pizzo: Love NYC!!! What region are you in, Tessa? Thanks for doing this, BTW!!
- Michelle Pizzo: Cheers!
- J A: Corona!
- Amy Holtzman: Sangria! Hi Tessa, Hi Matt!
- richardbernstein: ft point manzanita: smoked beer
- Delijeh Snyder: Hot Chocolate (don’t judge me)
- Erick Smith: Ching Ching sour
- Travis King: In LIC – a Santa Barcara County Pinot Noir
- Michael Hartmann: Rye and ginger beer
- Travis King: Barbara*
- Beth McCullough: Sparkling water. Nothing fancy.
- Matt Heinz: I’ll be your SQL Matt…
- Jason Binstock: Making a Moscow Mule now 🙂
- Oceah Clark: Whiskey-ginger. Woodinville Distillery + C+B ginger beer.
- Michael Hartmann: I’m with @Ocean
- Michael Hartmann: sorry…Oceah
- Travis King: 100% agree Tessa –
- Michelle Pizzo: Oh yeah! Wow… The subway not running in NYC must be so strange
- Matt Heinz: Our internal team has compiled a Quarantine Cookbook based on everything people are making at home. It’s literally 85 pages long and pretty dang good!
- Jason Binstock: @Matt – I love the cookbook idea!
- carynesay: The Quarantine Cookbook sounds great! I’m running low on ideas for what to cook after three months of back to back cooking.
- Matt Heinz: We originally put it together purely for each other but will likely post it online somewhere eventually.
- David Dulany: when you’re managing people remotely, how to “know” they’re actually working .. in the office you can walk around … don’t want to micromanage
- Jon Russo: @Tessa, how involved does your team get with customer marketing or is it mostly acquisition focused (where your team is likely compensated)? follow on is what interactions are you or marketing having with your head of CS? stay safe. Jon
- Amy Holtzman: Maria’s TikTok!!!
- Matt Heinz: @Amy, that was impressive.
- Amy Holtzman: So good. It was like magic!
- Matt Heinz: Also @Holtzman, you could do your own quarantine cookbook with all that low-and-slow meat!
- Amy Holtzman: Hahaha… Quarantine super powers.
- Maria Pergolino: We got lucky and had 100K customers at the same time so all our swag and promotion is about the 100K customers instead of the ARR which feels more appropriate right now
- Matt Heinz: Both impressive #’s
- Uma Asthana: Is On24 hiring? Last project I did right before I was laid off was a webinar on On24 :D!!!
- carynesay: Cooking demos!
- Matt Heinz: Marketing SHOULD be fun, for buyers and sellers
- Michael Hartmann: Love these conversation-oriented virtual meet ups…with all the potential issues with the “stuff” that happens when its not scripted
- Scott Edmonds: I missed the beginning, what was the drink??
Erick Smith: Matt’s webinars are awesome. I’m an On24 fan. These are awesome and timely topics for marketers – thank you Matt and Tessa for the inspiring conversation.
- Jason Binstock: @Scott – A manhattan
- carynesay: There’s probably no more unifying experience than this pandemic, as tragic as that sounds, and it’s the one time we can share our sense of humanity and humility and connect…
- Jack Wildt: Go Tessa!
- Michelle Pizzo: rapid fire!!
- richardbernstein: I> Maria Pergolino: Joe!
- Maria Pergolino: next week’s theme is a roast – bring your best Joe Chernov stories
- Matt Heinz: We will need more than an hour…
- Anyssa Mendoza: LOL!!
- Delijeh Snyder: haircut
- Delijeh Snyder: Matt you got yours
- Maria Pergolino: go to SF
- Jack Wildt: The first thing you are going to do isn’t come to SF?
- Edyta Kosnik: gym
- Michelle Pizzo: Haircut and brow threading!
- Matt Heinz: DIY haircuts FTW!
- J A: bar hopping in san diego
- Uma Asthana: PARTY!!!! With family and friends and everyone around.
- Delijeh Snyder: Dubai
- Jason Binstock: Cannot wait to go on a vacation – not a “stay”cation!
- Amy Holtzman: Party at Maria’s
- Maria Pergolino: we have space – we can host – and more booze than anyone on this call could drink
- Matt Heinz: challenge accepted
- Amy Holtzman: Challenge accepted
- Amy Holtzman: LOL @ Matt
- Michelle Pizzo: Love gin rummy!
- Michelle Pizzo: What’s your favorite book you’re reading lately?
- Delijeh Snyder: Sapiens
- Edyta Kosnik: Murakami
- Michelle Pizzo: Was just wondering what you think is the “next big feature” everyone will want in their virtual events?
- Michelle Pizzo: (Besides ON42)… what are the tech tools you can’t live without?
- Matt Heinz: If someone could invent or create a successful sponsor experience for virtual events, i.e. something that replicates lead engagement ROI of live events, they would make a lot of money.
- Matt Heinz: Attendees of virtual events/conferences produced recently seem fairly happy, sponsors the opposite.
- Amy Holtzman: Tiffany is the best (customer marketing at ON24)
- Tessa Barron: Agree!!
- Maria Pergolino: I can answer this one easily – though I’m not an event expert – we want integration with offline – so when someone signs up they receive materials in the mail that allows them to better participate
- Matt Amundson: I agree with that ^^^^
- Matt Heinz: You could probably do that with a PFL, Sendoso or Loop&Tie integration
- Maria Pergolino: essentially marrying online with offline including partner materials, swag, but also glasses to see things multidimensionally, or worksheets to allow for conversations, or the slides printed for early review
- David Dulany: “Attendees of virtual events/conferences produced recently seem fairly happy, sponsors the opposite.” – any suggestions to improve the Sponsor experience?
- Michael Hartmann: Thanks Tessa and Matt for a great conversation. Cheers
- Matt Heinz: The future of events will probably be like that – some live and in-person, integrated with virtual and on-demand.
- Matt Heinz: We’ll get better at engaging the entire customer/market community when only a % can attend in person at a specific location and time
- Matt Heinz: Mark Bornstein is a national treasure
- Jason Binstock: Cheers
- carynesay: Thank you all!
- Steven: I still owe Max a shirt for giving me his leftover Spa Water.
Tessa shared that her team is realizing a renewed appreciation for the fundamentals, and in many ways they’ve improved collaboration while everyone works remotely.
“It’s about being more deliberate about our cross-functional meetings. Now that people can’t gather in the same place physically, being diligent about documenting and making information accessible is key.”
– Tessa Barron, VP of Marketing, ON24
And remember… the pandemic will end, but sales & marketing never will. Stay safe everyone!
Watch Other Episodes On Demand
Ready for another round? Watch our library of past episodes of A Drink With Matt Amundson, including sales and marketing leaders from a wide range of industries and roles. Gain new perspectives in a casual, happy-hour type virtual environment.
>> Browse Past Episodes >>
Join Our Next ‘A Drink With’
Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 3pm PT / 6pm ET we’ll host ‘A Drink With’ Joe Chernov, CMO at Pendo.io. Register here for the Zoom link.