The summer time is a notoriously slow time for sales. After coming off of a killer Q2 with Marketo Summit and SiriusDecisions, this season was even more daunting for our sales development team. To help with this, leadership decided to get creative in order to boost morale and motivate the team—enter the SDR Olympics!
What are the SDR Olympics??? The SDR Olympics are a series of competitions to help drive higher KPIs and beat summertime sales sadness. In this post I’ll explain how we are making this happen, and who knows, maybe you’ll be inspired to start your own SDR games!
Our SDR team is made up of 15 SDRs, half of which support the Enterprise team, and the other half, the Mid-Market team. Some competitions put the Enterprise and Mid-Market teams against each other, sometimes the team members are put in pairs, and sometimes its every man/woman for themselves out there. The KPIs for the competitions include dials, phone conversions (call to a meeting), sales qualified leads (SQLs), and opportunities (Opps).
- SQL Sprints – We kicked off Monday of Week 1 of the SDR Olympics with a 3 Day SQL Sprint. The SDR with the highest amount of SQLs on Wednesday at 5 PM won Gold, 2nd won Silver, and 3rd won Bronze.
- Call Blitz – When call volume is crawling, we introduce a call blitz! Typically, we do a 2-hour blitz starting at 8 AM or 1 PM because both times account for East and West Coast business hours.
- Opp Marathon – For that extra boost to get across the finish line each month, we introduced a two week opp marathon—whoever gets the most opps in the final weeks wins.
- Synchronized Swimming – SDRs are paired into teams. Each member of each team must SQL the same number of prospects per day. If one member of the team does not SQL the same amount as their counterpart, the team does not advance.
- Best Call of the Month— The SDRs will nominate the team member who had the best call of the month. This could be for a well handled objection, persistence, or getting someone to stay on the phone for a productive conversation.
Tips and Tricks for Keeping the Team Engaged
- Schedule Emails – We wanted to make sure that everyone knows when a game starts. You can’t win if you’re late to the game, right?! There are some games like the Call Blitz that are ad hoc, but for the games that are planned, I set up a series of a notification emails to go out to the team.
- Build Out Dashboards to Keep Score – We built out a Salesforce report for the team to track the KPIs associated with the competitions so they can see where they stand!
- Physically Display The Stats – On the left half of the whiteboard in our SDR pit, we write all of the companies we SQL (Enterprise in black, Mid-Market in red). The right side of the board shows a tally of all phone conversions and the medal count for each SDR.
- Battle Cards – We made visual representations of every SDR competing in the Olympics. We have them on rotation on the TVs in the office showing the winners so far! This is really just for fun, and it helps everyone stay excited and motivated.
We will hold small medal ceremonies each week to announce weekly winners, and a larger ceremony at the end of the quarter with more medals and prizes. We even ordered engraved medals so it feels legitimate. Each SDR chose their own National Anthem to be played upon presentation of a Gold medal. And while not totally necessary, we decided that having an Olympics inspired podium for medal presentation ceremonies was a fun idea. Thanks for building it, Reggie!
Our goals for The SDR Olympics are to have each SDR win at least one gold medal, and help everyone hit quota every month. And, of course, to have some fun along the way.